Friday 7 August 2020

Unstable Connections

'Your connection is unstable'
Zoom tells me, and I think
well, quite.

I'm waiting on communication
behind three flashing dots
dreaming with too many windows open
in a life held together with the flimsy lick of cigarette papers
and the anaesthetic of relentless scrolling.

My connections are the loose roots of plants in sand
too soon broken with the scuff of a heel
or washed away in sudden summer rain
(the deeper ones dug up a long time ago;
extracted like a troublesome tooth).

I could reduce my processing speed, but then
there's joy in instability
the shout of laughter from a dizzy spinning daughter
that time I tripped in the rain and you caught me
or the sway of dancing, three gins in.

Give me the looseness of the rhizome connection
because in the end, I know
that the uprooted plant leaves seeds on the scuffing shoe
so that newness can be carried to another shady spot
just a bit further down the beach.



No comments:

Post a Comment